Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I Can Relate to the FEAR FACTOR

I came across this article in one of the blogs I read about the Fear Factor. It describes me before this summer very well. I was the one very comfortable and PROUD that I could use e-mail, WORD, Excel, and Powerpoint. On the other hand, I was becoming better read about other things like blogs, wikis, social benchmarking, . . . the list goes on, but unwilling to try them. I was fearful that if I couldn't figure it out where would I go, who would help me without making me feel stupid, and a whole list of other excuses. Finally, about the first part of August I just said ok get with it. If you can't use it why expect it of others. Of course, now you have to put up with me in more ways than before.

I believe the same is true for all of us. We will be expecting our teachers to creatively use technology in our classrooms and many will have this built in fear factor such as If I push that button will it make it all go away. I like the suggestion in the article about creating the opportunity for exploration with support! I have spent a lot of time over the past month learning through mistakes and I have learned that asking someone more knowledgeable than me or willing to learn with me makes the experience more productive and fun.

Where are you on the fear factor continuum? What are you exploring and who provides the support? We all have our reasons why we may not be currently engaged in new learning around technology: no time; I have enough on my plate right now; Walt and his people will do it. I wonder what reasons teachers will have and how we will respond to their reasons?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Where am I on the continuum? I think of myself as having much to learn, which means it will take time and practice (luckily, I'm not shy about asking for help!) for me to become proficient in learning to use technology creatively. If we are committed to our staff development model, I believe we have to aknowledge that time will be an issue. While lack of time, and having too much on one's plate, can be used as an avoidance tactic, it is also often an authentic piece of the puzzle. An important first step in my mind is communicating to administrators and teachers what we/they should be prioritizing and providing opportunities to explore, learn, and practice.

Seeking Shared Learning said...

Michele, I also feel the need for what Fullan calls coherence. There are so many things that we could choose for focus with technology that one can easily become lost and overwhelmed. We will begin to look at some of the tools that can assist us in our work at the next ELT meeting.

Our staff development model will include some paid time to learn the basics for the system roll outs. Practice and support over time will be key.

Thanks for the comment.

Amy said...

While I don't fear trying new pieces of technology, I recognize that I too easily rely on the "experts" to fix. That being said, I did spend two hours last night trying to get my personal video camera to work with my personal laptop so I can try a new program "sight speed" where my sister and I can send video clips saying hi to each other from Afghanistan. My husband kept saying, "Do you want me to do it? You know I could do it in a few minutes." I am refusing to have him do it because I believe you learn by "getting dirty with it." Likewise, I am testing how the RSS feed going from our teachers' SWIFT sites directly to our e-mail might be a great tool to give parents. While Ethan showed me quickly one time, I spent over an hour at home doing it independently. For teachers, we have to be honest, there is a huge time factor involved. First, in the initial training on how to use something. Second, the first couple of times they use it as a teaching tool. Only after the comfort sets in will they see the possibilities of the tool to do "new things in a new way."