Monday, January 28, 2008

School or No School Difficult Decisions

Normally, I like to peruse the blogs I read before deciding on a topic for my blog, but tonight the big thing on my mind is snow and ice. I can look forward to little sleep, waking up multiple times and worry over the decision of whether it is safe to have school or not. So many variables to consider and so little time to decide on what is one of the hardest decisions to make.

Why so hard? Partly because of the processing time, usually less than 30 minutes unless the snow and ice come at the right time in just enough quantity to make it an easy call. Partly because of the consequences of a poor decision; I've been there and don't want to revisit that anxiety and worry. Partly because someone almost always takes exception with the decision. Most importantly, because of the need to make the right decision for about 7000 students, their families, and the approximately 850 staff members and their families. Is it safe for the buses? Can staff get to the job site safely and on time? If we can get them to school safely, will the return home be safe? Can we trust the weather report and what one should we use? Are the parking lots and sidewalks safe? And on and on and. . .

Fortunately, I have good people collecting the necessary data and making recommendations. I hope that the weather report we are reviewing for tonight and tomorrow is accurate. If it is, tomorrow's decision should not be that difficult. And what would that be?

2 comments:

Ethan Smith said...

Several years ago (I don't remember the exact circumstance) Dawn asked me to think differently when I made a comment that showed I was distancing myself from responsibility for a particular situation. Whatever I said, it suggested that "they" were responsible for the situation and that "they" would have to find a solution for it. Dawn pointed out that when it came to science education in our school district "they" was "us." It was a watershed moment for me; it was surprising to me how empowering taking responsibility can be.

What does this have to do with snowflakes and dartboards? You mentioned that someone always thinks you made the wrong decision regardless of what decision you make. It is so very easy to find fault with the decisions made by "them" when you don't have to put a face to the decision maker and when "them" in no way feels like "us." The more we can do to build obvious links that connect all of "them" into big communities of "us" the better.

Amy said...

Ethan is intellectual; I am more basic: Good luck. I know it isn't easy making a decision that someone is guaranteed not to like. Even in management questions like this it comes down to your guiding question: what is best for students (on the side of road waiting for a bus, on a bus with 50 other kids, etc.)

Like I said, good luck! :)