Wednesday, June 18, 2008

About that KEYNOTE

Yes, I am scheduled to do the keynote at our 10Tech Summer Conference and I am feeling higher levels of anxiety than normal for me. Usually I respond well to creative tension and see it as a challenge to produce quality. Why is this so different?

How did I let myself get in this situation? Well, I was asked by Kimberly months ago. I am sure she probably used the word keynote when she asked me to speak, but it didn't hit me until recently when I realized that it was scheduled for an hour and that it was KEYNOTE, you know set the stage for the conference sessions, energize everyone, and come across as if you know something. This will be difficult because I don't know if I know enough to pull this off. If only I didn't have such respect for Kimberly I might have been able to say no.

It feels like when I sometimes schedule attendance at a conference months in advance and as the time approaches and my in basket is full I wonder why I ever thought it would be good to attend. Only I think in this situation the feeling is the same to the third or fourth power. Too late to exit with grace so I better get going. Where do you find a crash course on keynoting?

Guess what, I also get to do a session the same day on blogging. So many opportunities to share learning and open oneself up to constructive criticism. Maybe they won't include feedback forms on the presenters. One can only hope. If I survive next Tuesday, I'll share my fate.

3 comments:

Kimberly Allison said...

Yes, it is too late to exit gracefully, and yes, there will be feedback sheets at the sessions. :) I am excited by the prospect of staff getting to hear the same passion and conviction you share with us on a daily basis. Thank you for enduring the anxiety on our behalf.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I am sure you will do wonderfully. As a district staff member I have heard you speak several times and you always have such passion for, student, learning and teaching. I am looking forward to you being our keynote speaker! ~ R. Cragar

Anonymous said...

You did a great job. You were worried for nothing (or very well prepared!)