Tuesday, July 15, 2008

More learning from others . . .

I can't believe it and probably some of you might not either, but it is 11:15 pm and we just completed our last meeting of the day. The Washington state site met this evening for three hours to bring some clarity to our work together and to prepare for tomorrow's opportunity to continue the conversation. I am impressed with and privileged to be with these quality people doing important work in our state. In a short period of time I have been influenced to revisit important parts of my belief system because of them and others attending this conference.

We visited a school system today here in Burlington that has formed truly impressive partnerships with the community, with nonprofits, and with local colleges to create a system focused on equity, excellence, and sustainability. This visit and the conference have created dissonance for me personally and professionally. As you know, dissonance for me always results in new learning and at times new opportunities for us. Don't worry, they will not change the focus of our journey, but they may provide some additional stops for consideration and review as we continue to move closer to our Classroom 10 destination. I am looking forward to sharing with our ELT at the retreat. It may mean I need to add a couple more slides to my "Zen" powerpoint.

It is also interesting to watch and learn from Peter Senge. It is obvious that he is a master at thinking and acting systemically as he shares with us his work and the foundations of systems thinking. It is also interesting to watch him as a presenter to see how he uses active processing strategies and wait time to continue conversations. He waited for over one minute this morning as well as some other "long" waits, each time someone came forward to add to the conversation in meaningful ways. Guess what Connie? He uses no projectors or computers, he uses chart paper and colored pens, always posting and keeping a running record on the wall.

Well, this old body is feeling the results of a long day so I believe I will shower and call it a day. I shower at night because sharing one shower stall in the morning means lines, but since I can hear it next door right now I guess I'll have to wait anyway.

No comments: