Sunday, August 24, 2008

Are my ladders in the way?

Two good comments from the last post that made me reflect on the data I am using to make assumptions about teacher leadership in our school system. Though we still have work to do, the comments lead me to believe that we have made more progress with teachers taking leadership roles than I have observed or accepted. It may be lack of feedback, a ladder that keeps me from seeing and hearing accurately, or some combination of both. Another opportunity for reflection, asking questions, and seeking support from a colleague.

I also experienced my first personal comment to a post. A teacher visited me Friday to ask some questions about some of what I said. I have observed in the teacher's classroom multiple times seeing much of what we describe as Classroom 10 on each occasion. I have much respect for the teacher and was pleased and honored by the surprise visit.

There was a concern that I was identifying a specific building in my comments about lack of success and specifically the teacher's building. He believes that much progress has been made in the building with leadership and is particularly pleased with our focus this year on instruction. At the time I said no I wasn't focused on a building, but in rereading the post I can see why the question was asked. The comments should have resulted in understanding that the model we were using for our secondary buildings did not work well for a variety of reasons. We believe this year that we have adapted to the current situation and that the model will be much more effective in supporting these teachers.

These comments and the visit again drive home to me the power of ladders of influence on my thinking that then influences my behavior. I strive to share my private thoughts and be a role model for the importance of suspending one's assumptions and always placing into the discussion what one is thinking, not just willing to say publicly. As I said previously, this has given me much to reflect upon.

More on leadership to follow with the issues of time and planning of concern. It would be wonderful to hear from teachers experiencing the learning opportunities and placing the knowledge and skill set into practice. What is different because of the learning and opportunity to influence your work with colleagues?

1 comment:

Kimberly Allison said...

It's wonderful to hear how others relate to your posts and how you reflect one each one. Thank you for doing this.