Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sorry, football one more time . . .

I think I may have promised four weeks or so ago to not blog about football again this season, but today we finally saw a good game. Unfortunately, the Seahawks lost again in the last couple of minutes so the outcome was similar to all but the two wins of the season. But, the crowd was into it and we stayed for the entire game, even the fumble on the last drive. The loss, however, seemed harder to take than some that we were never in. Why is that? Do I want us to be so bad we lose early and I don't have to then get involved in the outcome? I never have this feeling at a Bears game.

What I have learned this year is that the demeanor of the crowd seems to change with the record. With the success of the last few years I didn't notice some of the behavior we are now experiencing. There has always been the drinking and I have annually had beer spilled on me at least one time partly because I have an aisle seat. It is the language and surliness that is increasing. The "F" word seems to flow like water from the mouths of those behind us and to one side. Fans of the other team have always been subjected to some good natured ribbing as they walk by that has now turned into yelling and profanity. It is a different environment now that we are losing.

We have one more home game this season with the Jets. I am looking forward to seeing Favre quarterback for a different team, but I am not looking forward to the changes in behavior that we have experienced these last few games. Winning next year will be welcomed for more than just the record. Can they make the changes next year that are necessary to again become winners?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to say that it is sad to see the downturn of the Seahawk fan at the game. I was at yesterday's game and for the majority of the game everyone was in a great mood, upbeat, very loud and then with one fumble the section I sat in went from cheering and high fives to selected fingers in the direction to all the Patriot fans and obsecenities that are not appropriate for this blog. It amazed me that when just last year they were doing so well that these "fair weather" fans turn on their team and coach in such a hurry. The crowd was electric yesterday and they played a great game. Hopefully they will turn it around for next year and we will see the Hawks of recent years. While I am a secondary Hawks fan, Cowobys are my #1 team, but I hope for success soon for next year.

crystal said...

Did you say you were at the game? I worked the burger concession stand on the club level (if you get a group of people together and work a game then they will donate money to a charity of your choice on your behalf). Boy was the crowd crazy!