Sunday, March 29, 2009

A truly crucial conversation . . .

Once again Ethan’s comment has created a wonderful context for continuing the discussion on budget adjustments. The meeting that he shares taking place tomorrow is an opportunity for interested staff to share their private thoughts and to influence the direction that the Association chooses to take. I don’t know how or why the meeting was called, but it is good to see that something positive has emerged from the sharing.

My experience tells me that it will be important for all attending to truly examine their ladders and be aware of the assumptions that drive those ladders. When we engage in emotional conversations, as this one will be, it is more difficult to stay in our rational brains; where this one needs to be. It is also important to remember that there are valid reasons for people to hold differing views on how to proceed. These differing views do not make people good or bad because of the view that they hold so it will be critical to balance advocacy with inquiry. Trying to understand each other at a deep level through inquiry can keep us in our rational brains as opposed to simply advocating for a preferred outcome.

If a safe environment is not created and maintained it will be easy for a meeting such as this one to quickly slip into a debate. People go to fight or flight when it does not feel safe to engage. Facilitating meetings where people are emotionally invested in an issue is very difficult. I do not envy the task in front of the Association leadership. I can imagine that they are under extreme pressure from WEA to not engage in problem solving this issue and are being told that it is the district’s responsibility. Calling for a meeting under the current circumstances shows leadership and a desire to place a priority on the needs of the local association.

Many school districts are ahead of us in identifying budget adjustments and have already sent out non-renewal letters to staff. I have not read or heard of an association in these situations being open to engage at the table. For me, tomorrow’s meeting is affirmation that the culture we are creating in our system is based on collaboration and respect. Regardless of the outcome of the meeting, I am proud that people stepped forward and requested an opportunity to be heard and that the leadership has created that opportunity. You are to be commended for your actions.

I encourage you to take this opportunity to actively engage in this conversation. In my time at Tahoma there has been no other conversation with as much potential to influence who we are in both the short and long term. I eagerly await the outcome.

1 comment:

Kimberly Allison said...

I'm just back from the meeting. And all I can say is I wish I could be half as articulate here as my colleagues were at tonight's meeting. I remain in awe that as opinions spanned the entire range and emotions were certainly engaged, this crucial conversation was indeed a skillful one. Thank you to everyone who spoke--your eloquence, candor, and clarity is evidence of just how great Tahoma truly is.