Sunday, August 30, 2009

Blog and table . . .


I usually do my post in word and transfer to Blogger, but tonight I was just about finished and the computer crashed and word will not open, you know the routine Windows checking for problems, the blue circle,and Microsoft Office has stopped working. It really ticks me off when this happens and I lose my work. I don't like trying to redo, because it never sounds as good, but here goes.


I was pleased to see the comments to my last post. They certainly provide us with differing views on what Classroom 10 might look and sound like in our classrooms. Though the sample is small, it does capture the difference of opinion and the need for continued conversation and learning opportunities as we continue our journey.

It is good to see that there is no disagreement on the need for the 10 characteristics. The disagreement lies in what a targeted thinking skill means when included in every lesson. We still have much work to do as we move toward a common understanding of this work in progress. It is an initiative unique to our school district and one that will continue to undergo refinement as we broaden the scope of those involved in decision making. Sharing private thoughts is important and can influence the decisions we will make on the what and how of Classroom 10. I believe that the sharing over the last few posts has already had a small influence on the thinking of some of us as it relates to a targeted thinking skill in every lesson.

I also received an e-mail about this post from someone who shared that this should be a skillful discussion at a table not on a blog. This is from someone who uses technology effectively and who will engage and influence the decisions made when the discussion moves to the table. I do not disagree that the discussion needs to be at the table, however, I think this becomes the venue when it is time to make decisions. While we are simply sharing thoughts and asking questions the blog and other less formal contexts serve to enhance the conversation. It provides opportunities for some to share in a safer environment and can promote dialogue as we read the thoughts of others and reflect on our own.

I believe that using the blog is one way of balancing advocacy and inquiry. In the comments to the previous post people share their thinking and beliefs about the work, but they also ask many questions. It feels different than being in the same room where many of these comments would be perceived as advocating for a particular position. In the blog I don't get the same feeling because I can only read what is being said; I am not influenced by the nonverbal behaviors, the timing of the comments, and the other human factors that influence my behavior. I think it is important to include the thinking of as many of us as possible before we reach conclusions and make decisions and this blog, other blogs, and social networking sites are one way to achieve this. Of course, I also encourage you to share your thinking with your colleagues at work, especially with building administrators as they prepare for the skillful discussions that will soon take place at the table.

4 comments:

LoomDog said...

It is after 10PM Sunday and I sit here reading your latest entry and empathize most intimately. I've been whacking away at my laptop practically nonstop since 10AM...all because my Classroom 10 lesson (days of designing, 6 hours on the computer) was erased Friday, a victim of our planned obsolescence. Seems a coincidence of nearly simultaneously having my desktop and laptop "reimaged" Friday ran afoul of an auto-synch and resulted in my lesson being erased... AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH. Deep breath, count to ten...and 12 more hours at my laptop...if I can find my rough draft at the bottom of my recycle bin (knock-on-wood). Then I read your post and "shared your pain." By the way, I agree with the value of blogging in this instance. Thanks for the opportunity.

LoomDog said...

RE:previous posts concerning the Race To The Top.

Randi Weingarten reported in the HuffPost Monday about St. Louis' efforts to procure RTTT funds. I found it interesting, especially this quote; "a new superintendent who believes in working with teachers and their union." In light of previous comments regarding the union-as-roadblock, this comment struck me as a bit of a surprise. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying (implying) that you, Mike, have such a vision of WEA but you have commented on the climate in our state regarding RTTT. I'm not sure how to link this blog to the article (as you frequently do) but I clicked on the Name/URL choice below the comment window and pasted the article's URL there...maybe it'll work, maybe not.

Martina Tycova said...

Hi,
I am reading your blogs for the sometimes and I think the blogs are good way to express your views on any matters.It is necessary for the blogger to stay in limit.By the way,this is nice post.

audiokabel

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://upicowyto.kogaryu.com/samojoxy.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money