Thursday, August 6, 2009

Deeper learning . . .


I feel good about the administrator retreat. Our focus was on our Classroom 10 journey and the shift from the why and what to the what and how of implementing Classroom 10 practices in all of our classrooms. We reviewed some already learned information and went deeper into some of the other concepts that we have shared on our journey. We have discovered that some of us, including me, must dig deeper into what Classroom 10 looks and sounds like in classrooms if we are going to be able to support others.


We are also exploring the need for increased accountability throughout the system as we focus scarce resources on this initiative. This is a significant shift that will require new learning for many of us and changes to the behavior patterns and structures that have long been part of our culture. Looking below the surface to identify these behavior patterns and structures is part of using systems thinking to better understand how our actions influence behavior and support change. This increased understanding will assist us in identifying adaptive solutions to the issues that we face in this work.

The retreat also resulted in dissonance that for me is positive because it will become creative tension as I focus my behavior on the gap between current practice and our desired future. Many questions were asked and concerns were raised that require us to reflect and examine the behaviors that result in this gap. The Learning and Teaching staff and I spent some time yesterday debriefing what we learned that will result in some changes to current practice and some additional questions to fuel further conversations.

One of the things that I wish we could change is not coming together as an entire staff in August. It will be important to share our work and to clearly articulate the next goal in our Classroom 10 journey. This could have easily been done at a barbecue, but we will need to find a different way to communicate this message without this opportunity.
For now, can you identify the ten characteristics of Classroom 10 learning? There are five of these characteristics that we believe should be in every lesson while the other five should be visible over a unit of study. What might those five be and why? The answer to this question will be one part of this year's learning journey. It is part of digging deeper into what we in Tahoma believe is important for every student, every day, in every classroom.
Perhaps some of the participants will share their thoughts, questions, and concerns in a response to this post.

3 comments:

crystal said...

I wish I could name them all off the top of my head, but at least I know I can recognize them.

Without cheating, these are the ones I'm sure of:
1. Habits of Mind
2. Authentic Audience / Real World Problems
3. Active Learning Strategies
4. Thinking Skills
5. District Outcomes and Indicators
6. Relationships
7. GLEs/EALRs/Content
8. Technology
9. Rigor / Relavence
10.

...I guess I need to study these more. Though, I'm sure I could recognize/explain them if I saw them, but reciting them is a different story--I need a mnemonic or something.

crystal said...

Well I was going to come up with a mnemonic right now while I'm sitting in the airport, but as it turns out, it is basically impossible for me to find the list of the 10 characteristics online (either through google or our district website).

crystal said...

Ok, with a little help from Kimberly, Ethan, and Rick, here's the mnemonic we came up with:

(C)lassroom (T)en (h)appens (a)nytime (r)eally (c)ommitted (t)eachers (w)ork (a)s (o)ne.

Lessons:
(c)ontent, (t)hinking skills, (h)abits of mind, (a)ctive learning, (r)igor

Units:
(c)ollaboration, (t)echnology, (w)orld experience/projects, (a)uthentic audience, (o)utcomes and indicators