Sunday, August 9, 2009

Relationship as a Classroom 10 characteristic . . .

As I shared earlier this summer we spent time at a conference with four high school students, two entering grade 10, one grade 11, and one grade twelve. One of the topics that came up in our discussions was the importance of the relationship between student and teacher. The topic was raised at least twice by these students and they were eager to share their thoughts about what creates a positive relationship from the student’s view.

I share it now because in our administrator retreat the high school representatives discussed this at length and shared it with the rest of us. It is part of the rigor, relevance, and relationship focus there and at the junior high. In the conversations that followed some thought that it should become one of the characteristics of Classroom 10 so that we would have eleven instead of ten.

Though these students are not representative of the demographic at Tahoma High School I believe that their insights are important for us to remember as we focus on classroom environments that will support Classroom 10 work. All four students get good grades and would work hard in any classroom with any teacher so in this regard they are not like all students. But, they did share what makes them feel that the teacher cares and does that results in a supportive environment conducive to learning. Terry then shifted the conversation to the need for relationship that also goes the other way, how what students do impacts the teacher’s perception of relationship.

What do you think the student’s shared about relationship and also what they think about those students who are disruptive in class?

2 comments:

crystal said...

Obviously, I agree that relationships are an important part of education (I'm not sure how you could work in the Tahoma SD and not believe this). More than that, my HS swim coach was the minister at my wedding and I regularly communicate with my TOK teacher and regularly meet my HS computer science teacher for dinner when in town.

I'm not sure exactly what the students said, but here are my guesses:
- The teachers treated the students with respect and talked to them like adults
- The teachers made an effort to get to know the students on a personal basis: what do they like, what do they do outside of school
- The teachers shared their lives with the students as well: showed them pictures, talked about their weekend adventures, etc
- The teachers created a 'safe environment' where it's ok to be wrong as long as you're trying; everyone is learning together

I'd like to think that I have a good relationship with my students. There have been more than a number of cases when a student leaves my course saying to me "I don't particularly like <insert subject here>, but I like you." Though I wish I could convince every student to share my passion for my material, I guess I should take it as a success that at least they get along well with me.

You are planning to share the students thoughts in a following blog, no?

mj said...

Mike and Crystal,
I appreciated your thoughts and observations on relationships as a component of Classroom 10 in Tahoma. I look forward to more focus on that characteristic of Classroom 10. It aligns with the 5th school board goal.
Mary Jane