Saturday, August 15, 2009

A shift in focus for awhile . . .

I missed my normal day for posting on Thursday and haven't really been connected for any length of time since Wednesday. At 5:00 am that morning I got one of those calls that you know must be bad news. My first thought was my kids or grandkids, but it turned out to be about my Mom. She is 93, lives in an adult home, is not mobile, and had come down with a fever and pneumonia. It has been up and down since then, with today looking better. No fever and breathing easier.

It has been an adventure with decisions on what to do and not do. It has forced me to reflect on the decisions we reached with her about treatment and life support in the event of something like this occurring. The decision to allow antibiotics appears to be working and if everything goes well she should be able to go home on Monday. If we had not I don't know where we would be, but it would probably not be ending with going home on Monday if at all.

I will try to follow up on Crystal's comments to my last two posts soon. Don't stop reading, I'm still around, just needing to focus my time differently for awhile.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time, Mike.