Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Action Day 2009, my small contribution . . .


Today is Blog Action Day 2009 that I first learned about from thehurt at Edumacation. It is an annual event where bloggers from around the world share their thoughts on an identified topic. The theme this year is climate change. If you follow my blog, you may know that I have shared some of my experiences with sustainability and the importance of engaging our young people in understanding the importance of this work, how we have arrived at this place in our history where global warming is an important issue, and how we will move forward with implementing changed practices that do less damage to our commons.

Though I am no expert on climate change or sustainability, I am concerned and believe that it is an issue that must be addressed with a sense of urgency and collaboration not yet seen in our world. Regardless of how we got here and who is to blame we will not successfully meet this challenge unless we can embrace it across this world of ours. Our country must play a significant role in this effort by acknowledging our historical contribution to climate change, by honoring the need for those in other countries to improve their quality of life, and by taking a leadership role in changing practices. We must unleash our creativity, our technological prowess, and our competitiveness to invent, implement, and sustain clean energy practices that first slows and then reverses the rate of global warming.

Can we do it? I struggle with saying yes when I read this piece by Thomas Friedman where he shares the Applied Materials story. This is the story of an American firm, Applied Materials, the world’s biggest solar equipment manufacturer that has built 14 solar panel factories in the last two years with none of them being built in our country. Why? Friedman suggests that it is because our government has not created the incentives that others have for businesses and homeowners to switch to this power source.
Then I read about this EPA document that was suppressed by the Bush administration citing global warming as a serious risk to the U.S. By suppressing it what was gained? The science hasn’t changed since then, there is only additional data to support the link between our behavior and changes to climate. Add to this the issues that are emerging between countries as they prepare for the December Copenhagen Climate Conference and it makes me doubt that we will see significant change in a short period of time. It feels sort of like health insurance reform on a global platform.

So what am I doing? I am trying to change my personal behavior beginning with recycling and practices to use less energy at work and at home. I am doing much better, but I must admit it is not easy and transferring these practices to others in my family has proven more difficult than I anticipated. It is not much, but I see it like the starfish story. If each of us committed to similar behavior across this planet we would have a significant impact on our commons. I’m not real proud of this meager beginning, but it is where I am.

I also believe that it is essential that we engage our youth in this work. They must have factual information, they must understand the story of how we arrived at this place, and they must be positioned for making decisions that influence how we will live in the future across this planet. They must have Classroom 10 capabilities to embrace the challenge, to understand the importance of global cooperation, and to discover new ways of living and sharing the resources of this world. I have confidence that this is possible if the world leaders of today can create the environment that unleashes this capacity.

7 comments:

LoomDog said...

Having taught sustainability issues since we had 2 billion fewer humans, "I feel your pain" (OK, not necessarily pain but frustration). Experience has shown one significant hurdle makes the problem tougher... branding. Getting millions of people (mostly Americans) to see global warming as an important issue (or that it even exists!) honestly lies with something as simple as THE NAME. Don't believe me? The same thing is going on in the health care debate. Branding good old-fashioned American competition as a "public option" unecessarily frightened people, generating resistance. But just this week a name change was proposed by members of Congress; Medicare Part E (as in E for Everybody). The Bill is EXACTLY the same as the public option but several conservative (GOP) members of congress admitted they'd vote for (support) Medicare E! And global warming suffers from the same ailment. 1) global warming ISN'T the disease (it's a symptom) and 2) the "deniers" can point at every snowy/cold day or every historical temperature flux to "make their case." If I were given the power I'd remove the phrase from the English language ASAP. Rather, let's talk about the undeniable issue; the exponential rise in atmospheric carbon (need a media-friendlier catch phrase?...how about "carbon load"?). I don't care how hot or cold it is (arguing about silly things like temps are distractions) there's no denying the frightening rise in ppms of CO2 which will do much more than raise sea levels or get a little warmer...google "acidification of the oceans" and you begin to see the tip of this carbon iceberg. Sustainability goes way beyond discussing a misnomer...we need to be discussing global overpopulation and all it consequences. Have a nice day...really, I mean that...and keep on chucking those seastars back in the sea.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://putinakoc.o-f.com/pejaly.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

It is remarkable, rather useful piece

Anonymous said...

I'm the kind of hombre who passions to taste new things. Right now I'm manufacturing my own solar panels. I'm making it all alone without the aid of my men. I'm utilizing the net as the only way to acheive that. I encountered a really brilliant site that explains how to make solar panels and so on. The site explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I'm not really sure about how accurate the data given there iz. If some experts over here who had xp with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the thread it would be grand and I would highly appreciate it, cauze I really like [url=http://solar-panel-construction.com/useful-articles]solar panel construction[/url].

Tnx for reading this. U guys are great.

Anonymous said...

I'm the sort of guy who passions to seek brand-new stuff. Right now I'm fabricating my hold photovoltaic panels. I am doing it all by myself without the aid of my men. I'm using the internet as the only way to acheive this. I discovered a really brilliant website which explains how to contruct solar panels and wind generators. The website explains all the steps required to diy solar panel construction.

I'm not really sure bout how correct the info given there is. If some experts over here who had xp with these things can have a peak and give your feedback in the thread it will be awesome and I'd extremely appreciate it, because I extremely take an interest in solar panel construction.

Thanks for reading this. U people are the best.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Между прочим, лучший способ защитить человека от навязчивых мобилок - купить Подавители мобильных