Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Is Social Media a Fad?

I was introduced to another of those Did You Know type of videos in this Education Week post. This one is about social media that poses the question; Is social media a fad? There are some compelling quotes, many of which cause me to reflect on my use or lack of use.

80% of companies use social media for recruitment (and 95% of that percentage use LinkedIn)
I don’t really know what LinkedIn is. I have read about it, no I have read the term, but never stopped to see what it is. I’m the guy with a Facebook page that I have done nothing with, don’t friend or follow others, and don’t know how to use. I can't remember how I even ended up with a page. I have some work to do!


Based on some of the information from the video, I think that our school system also needs, particularly some of us in the central office, to examine how these sites can enhance our work and efforts to increase communication and collaboration.

*Generation Y and Z consider e-mail passé. Some universities have stopped issuing e-mail accounts. Instead they are distributing: eReaders, Ipads, and Tablets.
*Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the US
*1 out of 8 couples in the US met via social media


I guess that I am just not tuned in. Not only that, I just found out that there are over 200 million blogs in the world. I guess my little effort isn’t much of a big deal. It sure made me feel pretty good until I read this statistic. Maybe I better get with the Facebook thing.

I find myself agreeing with the following statement in the video.
* Social media isn’t a fad; it’s a fundamental shift in the way we communicate.

What does this mean for us who are in the business of preparing young people for success in their current and future lives?

2 comments:

crystal said...

As someone who is more connected than most, I often find myself frustrated with people who don't recognize the changes that are happening in communication and aren't willing to find time to change and adapt. I have to commend you for recognizing the shift and deciding to make an effort to investigate it.

If I didn't love the classroom so much I'd be very interested in sharing my tech expertise with more teachers/staff that are willing to embrace technology at a higher level. Surprisingly enough though I rarely get questions about my opinions on technology use in the classroom from people other than close peers.

crystal said...

Also, I thought you might find this interesting:

http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2010/05/100-inspiring-ways-to-use-social-media-in-the-classroom/