Monday, May 31, 2010

Moving to One Community . . .


The comment to my post about One School is one that I think is important for all of us to consider. The part about One Community is very insightful as we think about the need for collaboration with the community. All of us are concerned about the percentage of yes votes on district measures and know that to be successful on a bond measure will require us to find adaptive solutions. Perhaps One Community can be a part of this adaption.

Coincidentally, I shared this same topic with the Board at last Tuesday’s meeting. It was my annual evaluation where I share information in the five areas that are used for assessing how well I am doing. As part of my presentation I shared the need for us to find new ways to connect with the community. This will require both the board members and me to identify and implement new practices. Genio, one of our teachers, said it well and makes the point that all of us share in this need.

We pride ourselves on being strong communicators, but I believe that we need shift our focus to actually connecting. We need to begin forming crucial connections now, not just with those who are already in our school buildings, but with the average Maple Valley citizen. I as a teacher hardly know any community members. If we want their buy in, this needs to be fixed. We need to be deliberate in our connection. We need to be creative and find ways outside of the box to connect. We need to share our schools success with them and help them to feel that success through a connection. We need them to be a part of our future success.

How can we do this? What might a One Community logo look like?

No comments: