Thursday, July 29, 2010

Learning community forming . . .


The summer GLAD training concluded while I was at the conference. What is impressive to me is the learning community that is beginning to form around this instructional model. The teachers engaged in the training share a belief that the strategies will influence learning of all students in their classrooms, shared and supportive leadership is emerging, resources are being committed to this collective learning effort, and the focus is on classroom practice and student achievement. Reading those should tell me why I shouldn’t be surprised by the energy around the initiative and the willingness of so many teachers to give two weeks of their summer for this learning opportunity.

In a comment to an earlier post this is some of what Amy shared the following.

Last year my teaching partner was trained in December and what she brought to my students in reading and math through GLAD was completely amazing. My kids loved math and reading and learned SO much!

In another comment Jan included this.

A partner teacher who is training to be a trainer and I switch reading and writing. The small bits she shared with me to try in my classroom were fun for me and engaging for the students. This approach definitely reinforces the habits of mind and Tahoma outcomes. It reinforces these behaviors throughout the year in very visible, tangible ways for elementary students. I can't wait to set up my room and get started.

I also received two e-mails thanking us for providing the summer learning opportunity and sharing their enthusiasm which echoes that of Amy, Jan, and others.
As we think about the future, it will be important for us to begin collecting data around the impact of this model on student attitude and student achievement. We have the opportunity to, over time; make program decisions based on this data. You may want to revisit the questions I asked on the July 8th post because a plan will be made focused on system decisions related to this instructional model.

No comments: