Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A typing support . . .

At a meeting today, I learned about an ap for my Android that makes typing easier called Swype.  I watched it being used, but didn't get a chance to try it.  It is intuitive with use and could increase my slow speed.  It looks awkward, but the user said that he mastered it in a short period of time.  Looks like something I should try.

Then, this evening going through my RSS feeds at edReformer, there was this post on a new texting keyboard.  The New York Times article identifies the new program called 8Pen that will be released shortly.  It also looks a little weird, but one of the developers said it only took about 10 minutes of use to feel comfortable.  The interface is designed to recreate the action of handwriting.


3 comments:

DBCHongkong said...

That mobile app was pretty interesting. After reading about that, I thought, "How many high school students might feel so familiar with technology that they could actually develop apps like this?"

I think in the future, app development and software programming will be a part of portfolio learning in high schools. You will want kids to be able to post their work online so that it follows them to every job they seek and fulfill. When they are ready for college, or for a career job, THAT will be what employers and admissions people will review.

DBCHongkong said...

Also, thanks for reading edreformer.com

We really love our readers!

Kimberly Allison said...

I just got a phone with Swype and played with it a little, but I'm not sure I'll use it. Instead I was absolutely blown away by the accuracy of the voice recognition--I don't have to type my email or texts, I can speak them. Hardly any mistakes! Amazing!!