Monday, December 5, 2011

Not giving up . . .

g4tv.com
No takers yet on the request from my December 2nd post on feedback. In that post I asked for the following.

The focus for teacher leaders will be on positive and questioning feedback. I have a positive presupposition that teachers want feedback concerning their progress on our Classroom 10 goal. I would appreciate hearing from any of you if this is an accurate presupposition. It would also help to know what type of feedback would be most helpful and how it will be received from teacher leaders; will it be as effective or perhaps more effective than that received from an administrator?

Thanks for reading and considering a response to this critical component of an effective change initiative.

I know that I have some regular readers out there who I believe have an opinion on this and I also know that most rarely, if ever, comment on a blog post because I am the same way. I decided I would ask again because of the importance of this critical step in our Classroom 10 initiative.

In the absence of feedback we make decisions that are not always supportive of meeting our goals and there is much at stake in this initiative. We view it as an intervention with the potential to support student learning in every classroom when learning goals and checks for understanding become drivers in lesson design and delivery. I understand that using a blog is perhaps not the best way to ask for feedback on my assumption and for further clarity on a delivery model, but it would be good for the system to have an open conversation on this topic. So, once again I ask that you consider supporting my thinking as I influence our Classroom 10 goal.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Mike-
I believe, as each school site works to develop a thorough understanding and seamless implemention of Classroom 10 concepts, each school will probably need their own unique support.

My school site, for example, is not in the same place as Cedar River Middle School with its understanding of Classroom 10. I have had conversations over the years with a staff member at CRMS and their understanding is very much advanced from our site.

Schools like CRMS may be ready for feedback at this time, where my site may benefit from more basic types of support.

As we know with our students, one size does not fit all. I hope you find this response helpful.
Jonathan

Scott Mitchell said...

As a teacher, I do want feedback on the goals surrounding Classroom 10, though I believe that I may be more open to peer feedback if I was also receiving feedback from my administrator. When we had math coaches come and examine and provide feedback on math lessons a few years ago in our classrooms, that felt very authentic to me and it was helpful, but I also trusted the person coming in my room. I am also in desire of more opportunity for administrators to give feedback into my teaching.

The big thing is that I believe peer feedback requires a level of trust that I am not sure we have in all of our buildings or in any of our buildings for that matter. In a conversation regarding trust I had on Monday with a room full of presidents, I brought up that their are two major components that I felt were in schools and groups. One is comfort and one is trust. These are two very different things. I feel very comfortable in my school to share my views, my thoughts, and jokes. But do we all trust each other to give genuine honest feedback to grow as teachers. I am not sure all of our schools are there.