Thursday, August 29, 2013

The "lasts" keep coming . . .

As I visited buildings this week to observe principals, many people came up to congratulate me on my retirement.  It resulted in an odd situation as I had not really thought of it as calling for congratulations. My response was thank you, but it feels a little bittersweet, whatever that means. For me, I'm learning that it means that I believe I have made the right decision, but it is also one that will result in significant loss in my life; a loss that will be difficult to fill with the same rewarding experiences that come with being superintendent of this wonderful school system.

Bruce told me that it would be difficult as I would be experiencing many "lasts" throughout the year.  This week brought the last opportunity to observe principals share their opening message with staff and the last time that I will sign the annual budget.  Next week will be the last first day of the year as superintendent and soon after that the last retreat with our dedicated school board.  I know that there will be many more lasts as the year unfolds and I am committed to making the most of each of them.  I have learned a lot on this journey and those that work most closely with me are beginning to experience my more urgent need to share that knowledge and support their growth.

Our transition plan will result in the journey continuing as we create cultures focused on teacher growth and increased student achievement.  I am proud of what we have created and to our continued focus on adult learning and look forward to the remaining opportunities to support learning and growth.  From time-to-time I'll share a few more of the lasts and how I'm learning to work through that odd feeling.

1 comment:

crystal said...

Mike, what has your path been through Tahoma? How long have you been superintendent? Am I correct that your entire career has been here?