Thursday, November 21, 2013

Little like water torture . . .

At the PSE meeting today the topic of life after Mike surfaced.  After Barb shared some comments that I very much appreciated she then shared the concern that she and some others have about moving forward after my retirement.  It was a good opportunity for me to share my belief in Rob's commitment to continue our journey and to build upon what we have created.  I am both pleased and proud that we have the right person in our system to preserve and grow the collaborative culture that is the foundation of our success following this transition in my life.

Later this evening I was sharing with Bruce who is in his first year of retirement how this conversation reminded me of yesterday when I experienced another "last" as superintendent.  This time it was my last Thanksgiving luncheon with the Central Office staff, a group of people that I love, respect, and so much rely upon.  For the most part, they work in isolation and rarely get the recognition for the contributions that they make to our success.  I will truly miss having them in my life.

Bruce then said something that is beginning to happen for me.  He said that his last year was like water torture - the lasts just keep piling up and you just want it to be over.  I'm not yet at that point, but as this year rapidly approaches that last day I can see how this can happen.  I try to be tough, but each of these lasts has an emotional toll that keeps building.

No comments: